What do I blog about?

Thursday, January 12, 2012

1930s vintage inspired dress

I have developed a major crush on the 1930's house dress and set out to make my own version. I don't have a pattern, but I do have a sort of similar style of dress hanging in my closet. I wish I could say this project was as simple as laying that dress down on left over wrapping paper, cutting around it, and sewing it back together. That is, after all, how I started out. I had to do a LOT of improvising. Here are some pictures of my inspiration:


15 cent pattern! Can you imagine?
And now, here is my dress:



Such a lovely house dress! Too bad my grungy house sweatpants are so cozy. Oh, and by the way, I didn't intentionally purchased Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz blue and white fabric, but I should note that the Wizard of Oz story did take place in the 1930s and that the movie was released in 1939. Perfect!

10 comments:

  1. You did this without a pattern... amazing!!!! Love the flowers, especially the one with gingham and yellow in the one flower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you did that without a pattern. Though, I'd be just as impressed with a pattern because I can't even figure those out half the time!! It looks great! You sure have got a talent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowee! That looks amazing and I am simply gobsmacked that you did it without a pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you did an amazing job, especially without a pattern, very brave!! The dress kicks out so nicely at the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just darling! I'm with everyone else, surprised and impressed that you did this without a pattern!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty dress! Love the fabric. New follower.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your dress is absolutely stunning. I love dresses like this too! I would love to someday be able to sew one like this (still working up the courage to actually sew clothes - straight lines are so much easier). Your dress is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is beautiful! I've been wanting to make a new dress and this is just what I'm looking for.

    new follower!

    http://sisterswhat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jessica, I've featured your dress today...
    http://threadingmyway.blogspot.com/2012/01/threading-your-way-features_29.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the look- total sucker for vintage dresses

    ReplyDelete