What do I blog about?

Saturday, September 10, 2011

coconut shrimp with summer BBQ suace

Had a lot of fun making a tasty recipe for dinner tonight! I thought I would share this super easy, fairly healthy coconut shrimp recipe that I have, of course, altered to make gluten free (but you'd never know it- it's that good).












Ingredients:
1/2 pound of cooked, de-veined shrimp (tail on)
1/2 cup of coconut
1/2 cup of crushed rice chex cereal
3 egg whites
1/2 cup of flour (gluten free for me)
1 tablespoon melted butter
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 and spray a baking sheet with non stick spray. Spread the coconut evenly around the pan and bake for about 5 minutes or until it begins to brown and your kitchen starts to smell amazing.

Put the flour in a small bowl.

Put the egg whites in another small bowl and whisk briefly. (If I had had any, I would have added a drop or two of coconut extract to the egg whites.)

Combine the rice chex and 3/4 of the toasted coconut in yet another bowl. (Set the remaining coconut aside.)

Dip the shrimp first in the flour, then in the egg whites, and then in the cereal/ coconut. Place on the cookie sheet. Bake about ten minutes, until the shrimp is warm. If you did use raw shrimp then bake until it is cooked through. When you remove them from the oven, drizzle on the melted butter and the remaining coconut.

These are good on their own, but I made a summer BBQ sauce to dip them in:

Summer BBQ Sauce Recipe:
In a blender, mix the following:
1 cup BBQ sauce (homemade or store bought)
1 cup pineapple chunks
1 tablespoon vinegar
1/3 cup of peach jam
1 fresh garlic clove, minced
A few shakes of chipotle seasoning (I like Mrs. Dash)
A few shakes of minced onion spice

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment